Friday, September 10, 2010

Hola!


Today we went on a guided tour of Toledo. We went up to the top of one of the huge hills that surrounds Toledo. Looking down at the city, it looked so beautiful, like a city lost in time. The architecture is so beautiful and is inspired by Muslim architecture...even a lot of buildings built by the Romans or Jews or Christians. The city is surrounded by a huge river, like a moat, and it made for a beautiful bus ride. We went by foot through the actual city, passing through the passage in the wall that the Christians went though to take over the city. It was amazing to think that people actually guarded this city from the top of those towers with their lives. So many people gave their lives in that very spot for this one city on a hill.  We stopped in the Plaza de Ayuntamientos, where the town hall and the Cathedral are located and we stopped at the convent where El Greco is buried. Our final stop was the main plaza. I cant even believe how much history Toledo has: Romans, Muslims, Christians, and Jews all ruled this city at one point or another.

Yesterday I walked to my house after class in order to see the city more. It was about a 20 minute walk and the view of the Casco Historico (the old part of the city that is actually on the hill) was so beautiful. I still cant believe that I actually live here. Its amazing. My host family is so nice and so patient with me when I am trying to communicate. They will repeat themselves as much as I ask them to and don't get frustrated with me, which I'm sure is not an easy thing to do. They make such delicious food too! I may just be in love with Spain!

Here are some pictures from the tour:


No comments:

Post a Comment